Random Thoughts at Your Kitchen Table

If I were to come to your house today, and pull up a chair at your kitchen table, this is probably what I’d tell you about. Here are the random things on my mind today:

Blame it on my southern California, flip-flops-in-every-season upbringing – but if I were to have a choice, I’d probably go barefoot most of the time. Working on a farm, that’s a less than stellar idea, but with the grass coming back to life lately, I’ve found more than one occasion to slip off my shoes.

I’ve gotten the fun opportunity to help my housemates start a garden at home, and for the first time in my life, I can honestly say I can’t wait to make mistakes. What I mean is, though I helped with the Polyface garden last year and look forward to helping again this year, I’m excited to have an area to play with, in which I can try and fail and succeed, all in the space of a few 8-foot square raised beds. It seems to me that mistakes made in this kind of setting – a personal setting – stay with you in a deep way and inform your future decisions, gardening and otherwise.

Driving to and from the farm each day, I find myself with the windows fully rolled down, music off, and my mind clear. I just love taking in the morning and evening sounds of spring! Nature’s a bit rowdy lately, with all her spring peepers, humming insects, blowing breezes and jovial little songbirds; not to mention the gentle lowing of the cows and sweet cheeping of the chicks. I love each of these distinct sounds.

I secretly wish there was a reason to dye eggs all year long. My family has long since outgrown this tradition, but every year I still get a wee bit disappointed that no one wants to dye eggs. Truth be told, the tablecloth and our hands had more shades of pink and purple on them than the eggs did by the end of it. Anyhow, here’s a link to a post I did last year on natural egg dyes. Let this farm chick know if you try them!

So if you came to my house today, and sat in my kitchen, what random thoughts would you share with me? I’d love to hear them!

Wikipedia: reader definition: one that re

About Brie Aronson

Brie Aronson came to Polyface from southern California. During college, she was diagnosed with food allergies and had to begin asking about the source of every single thing she put in her mouth. This led to an interest in all things food and she sought out a way to learn how it can be produced ethically and sustainably. Her desire is to help people shift their focus from counting calories, being intimidated by their kitchens, and being disconnected from the land to one that experiences the life-giving enjoyment of food. Having completed the internship in summer 2010, she now assists with the buying clubs and sales building, leads school tours of the farm, and will be the summer 2012 farm cook.
BriePermalink

7 Responses to Random Thoughts at Your Kitchen Table

1. Kristen Beichler says:

Beautiful, Brie!

2. Jill Powers says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love you!

3. Caitlyn M. says:

Is today your birthday, Brie? Happy Birthday!! 😀 😀

Now, random things on the mind… I’m getting a Guernsey/Jersey heifer today! I’ve been looking for a cow of my own for some time now, and I was so excited to find this little girl! I had a Jersey last year, but sold her due to a bad disposition she had. I told my family I would never, ever, EVER, have another cow again. But when I came to Polyface back in January, and had no choice but to work in close proximity to all y’all’s cattle, I found that I actually do like cows… 🙂 So I’m starting over.

Hmmm… What else… I’m terribly envious of your spring weather over there! It’s flooding over here in Oregon right now, and I’m dying to start poking around in the dirt and plant something! Gaah!

4. Grace says:

Have a great time with that garden space. There’s nothing like cultivating life. I have plenty of seeds if you ever want to swap! Don’t forget to put some flowers in somewhere for the sheer joy of looking at them! And, Happy Sweet Delicious Exciting Wonderful Wild Birthday girl!

5. Dawn says:

Happy Birthday! Hope it was a great day for you.

I dyed eggs last year with natural dyes and was surprised by how well it worked. I got some great blue ones and pink ones, and same very pale yellow. The only problem is, I don’t remember exactly what I used…I’m pretty sure it was blueberries, beets and onion skins, but I also feel like I used purple cabbage, and no idea what colour it made – I guess I’ll just have to try again this year and make a note of what worked. I got the colour ideas from Mother Earth News website last year.

That’s great about the garden – the chance to make mistakes is so important – how else can one figure out what does work? (kinda like dyeing eggs!)

6. I love being able to be alone with my own thoughts as well. When I lived in the mountains and had to commuute to work aff the mountain, watching the scenery go by and daydreaming or meditating on thoughts and ideas was really nothing more than processing positive information and sorting it out for something benficial in the way of practical applications. I lived 24 years out in the rurals, actually my home was at the very edge of wilderness.

When I purchased a new vehicle, I ordered it diliberately so without radio. I enjoy music and maybe some News, but there are some times when you can become addicted to it. Kids today and even their parents are addicted to all manner of electronics. My wife and I were at a get-together for a meal the other night at a friend’s home. Everyone there had their cellphones , Ipads and CD players. At one point I noticed a few were taking that all important “I can’t miss this call”. One had his earphones in his head listening to some music I assume in the corner and a couple others were texting or playing games, still others were taking some pics with their Ceel Phone Camaeras. I finally stood up and said, Okay time out. Everybody take a look at what you’re doing. We came here to socialize and enjoy each others company. I really hate alot about of the some abuses of modern technologies.

7. Brie Aronson says:

Thanks all for the birthday wishes! And for letting me know your random thoughts today! 🙂