Potatoes Have Sprung!

Ever since we planted the potatoes  I have been peeking at them under the straw periodically.  Waiting, waiting, waiting for them to come up.  I have been  a little impatient with them because it seemed like they were taking longer then usual.  Which wasn’t a bad thing because we have still had some nights with light frosts.  I just wanted the potatoes to start growing because I am hungry for some new potatoes!

So after all that waiting and peeking I was excited to see some poking through the straw late last week!

What is your favorite way to fix potatoes?

About Leanna Hale

Leanna Barth, born and raised in NC, first came to Polyface in July 2010 to attend one of the Intensive Discovery Seminars. She loved it so much that she applied for an internship position and was accepted for the 2011 season, after which she took the inventory/gardener position. Before coming to Polyface, she sold produce from her family’s market garden, along with homemade baked goods. This venture was mostly inspired by having read “You Can Farm” by Joel Salatin. Having always loved the outdoors, animals, and gardening Leanna is excited about this coming year, all that she will learn, and how the Lord will use this job later on in her life.
UntaggedPermalink

15 Responses to Potatoes Have Sprung!

1. Annie says:

I’ve never met a potato I didn’t like! 🙂
    But I made some mashed ones last night with homemade ranch dressing as the “liquid” with shredded sharp cheddar cheese and green onions from the garden.

2. Kristen Beichler says:

What wonderful news about your potatoes!
    The farm guys here are enjoying hash browns for breakfast. 🙂

3. Grace says:

Bravo! We planted at the sametime as you and ours came up this week too. We can plant potatoes until June (heat) so I put about 15 more in last week. Can’t wait! Now solutions for those darn potato bugs.

• Leanna Hale says:

Do you already have potato bugs? They haven’t found my potatoes yet…but I am sure they will.

4. The very first year I planted russets up in Anza which is potato country courtesy of Agri-Empire, I inoculated them with a VAM Mycorrhizal inoculant which included a number of varieties of both fungi and beneficial bacteria. The soil was also previously composted with aged chicken manure and oak leaves. When we harvested these first time ever symbiotically colonized potatoes in our own garden the results were awesome. First of all they were as hard as rocks, very tough to cut, which of course translated towards being better keepers in storage. Also they had a very deep rich earthy flavour which is uncommon with most store bought, since they are for the most part flavourless, with the exception of the toppings needed to add the actual flavour.

Our first use of them was for hashbrowns with eggs and bacon – Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

—-

5. Nita says:

Oh my, I love potatoes! It’s hard to pick a favorite way to eat them…hashbrowns is probably the winner. This morning we had scrambled eggs with greens & melted cheese, and hashbrowns of course!

6. Rebekah Norris says:

I am not a huge potato person but I do have a favorite way to eat them. Quarter new potatoes and boil them until tender. Drain and place on a jelly roll pan. Add butter and (seasonings-whatever you wish) and bake at 375 until crispy and lightly browned. A friend made these for me Sunday night and it was so yummy. 🙂

p.s. I miss you!xo

7. tracy says:

The first potatoes of the season just get a wash, boil, drained and a little bit of butter. That is enough and it lets the potato really shine. I also like to use cranberry red potatoes to make gnocchi. The pinkish colour gives it a bit of glamour.
    Tracy

8. Dawn says:

oh wow – I like them so many ways – my personal favourite is baked – no foil, by the way, but baked till the skins are crispy in your hand – then hollow them out, put fixings in the shell, melt if necessary – mash up the innards with fixings too…yum. My kids used to make mashed potato volcanoes when they were little – gravy for the lava. Hubby’s favourite is roast potatoes, done with onions, carrots, parsnips etc.

9. Keith says:

Your photo and narrative describe my last few weeks. this is my first attempt to grow under straw and was getting concerned that I had contributed to composting my seed potatoes rather than having provided all the right factors for growth. A few peeks under the straw revealed some activity, but still… And then magically, my small sea of straw now is beginning to look a lot like your picture above. Spring is here!

As far as my plans for my mix of fingerling varieties (store-brought that sat on the shelf a little to long and I did not have the heart to toss em). I plan on roasting garlic, tossed in olive oil and herbs and maybe a squeeze of lemon as a quick finish.