Good Equipment

I have learned to appreciate good equipment.  Here on the farm cheap tools don’t cut it.  They break or wear out fast.  The Salatins have certainly been in the farming business long enough and used enough different brands to figure out what is high quality and what isn’t even worth considering.

Over the years I have started my own collection of tools.  Mostly gardening tools and kitchen gadgets.  On the top of my list for a sewing machine has always been a Bernina.  I grew up sewing on a Bernina Record 930 and loved it.  I am not big on electronic sewing machines because they tend to be really expensive to repair.  So when I started looking for a machine I looked at the Bernina Record 930.  It could do anything that I needed and I knew that I already loved how it sewed.  I started looking around and was amazed at how expensive they were for a sewing machine made in the 1980’s.  After a little reading I found out why.  It is the most sought after used Bernina sewing machine for regular home work and for professionals.  It is Switzerland made and all moving parts are metal.  It also weighs about 40 pounds. 🙂  Very solid.

I knew that I would get what I paid for though.  A top quality sewing machine that would probably last me a life time.  So I took my time and waited.  The moment finally arrived when I found one that I could afford last week.  I was so excited when it came on Tuesday!  Now I just need to start a sewing project!

What tool or piece of equipment have you found worth the wait to buy?

About Leanna Hale

Leanna Barth, born and raised in NC, first came to Polyface in July 2010 to attend one of the Intensive Discovery Seminars. She loved it so much that she applied for an internship position and was accepted for the 2011 season, after which she took the inventory/gardener position. Before coming to Polyface, she sold produce from her family’s market garden, along with homemade baked goods. This venture was mostly inspired by having read “You Can Farm” by Joel Salatin. Having always loved the outdoors, animals, and gardening Leanna is excited about this coming year, all that she will learn, and how the Lord will use this job later on in her life.
UntaggedPermalink

10 Responses to Good Equipment

1. Believe it or not a good heavy steel pry bar was always a must on my rocky soil and land in the old days. Still has alot of uses even in the urban landscaping environment. Among other things Landscapers alway have with them on their belts is a good pair of clippers like the quality Corona parrot beak shaped clippers. They are kind of like a Carpenter’s need of Measuring Tape on his belt.

2. Jen says:

I love my premier one electric chicken net fencing! Expensive, but so worth it.

3. Catherine W. says:

This is interesting because I just had a conversation today with an organic farmer who said that if you are going to go organic, you better be prepared to get really good equipment (or really cheap labour, not likely!). So it is no surprise the Salatin’s are heavily invested in their farming equipment. Good luck with your new sewing machine! Catherine, West Australia

4. Kristen Beichler says:

Yay! So happy for you! 🙂 And Happy Birthday, too!

5. Dad says:

Happy Birthday Leanna

6. Kate Swist says:

I have that exact model of sewing machine. I bought it from a school’s home ec room when they were replacing their machines. A traveling sewing machine repair man gave it a tune up and reported that I could use that machine for the rest of my life and then give it to my daughter because it was such a solid machine that could easily be repaired. Happy sewing.

7. My wife bought a Janome on CL a few years ago. Amazing machine. We rid ourselves of the collection of cheap sewing machines within the week.

Similarly, we are upgrading our chicken processing equipment this year, retiring our homemade equipment. Our equipment was fine for 20 birds/batch but I spend a lot of time praying, wishing and mending on our big processing days. No more.

8. Annie says:

I second that Bernina recommendation! My mom had one for 25 years and then gave it to my sister. She and I both bought the same model and it does everything I need it to do: from sewing Easter dresses for my daughters to repairing coveralls for my husband.

9. Mary in FL says:

That’s a nice machine to get near or for your birthday! I have a Viking that I bought new in 1994. I’ve taken good care of it, and it’s the nicest tool I have!

10. Dawn says:

Felco secateurs – until I asked for a pair for my birthday a few years, ago, I went through a pair of secateurs a year (there’s a lot of pruning and clipping to be done here).
    Happy Birthday!