Breakfast time

Can I admit something to you? It may come as quite a surprise since I’m a farmer’s wife and all, but here it is:

I’m not a breakfast person.

Truly. Never have been, probably never will be. It’s not the getting up in the mornings, it’s the thought of food in the mornings. Not good. For me. I actually love mornings.

I wish I could say that it’s because of my pregnancies and every mom would know what I’m talking about there. But alas, I was never fond of breakfast even as a child. I would rather the world wait until around 10 am, no matter the waking time, to eat.

Yes, yes, I know…I can already hear you say, “Eat like a King at breakfast…” I know. ๐Ÿ™‚ Evening supper is still my favorite meal of the day.

My sister, on the other hand, lives for breakfast. She is not a morning person and she always says, “Breakfast is what gets me out of bed in the morning. If I wasn’t so hungry every morning, I’d sleep till noon. My stomach won’t let me.”

So saying all that, I want to share the recipe for one of my most favorite breakfast pies. Yep, you got it…I usually eat it a little later in the day. ๐Ÿ™‚

It’s pretty much a quiche recipe that I modified to make without the crust. It’s much less time consuming and works great as a gluten free recipe.

Here you go:

Sausage Pie

1 lb bulk sausage (any flavor)

1 cup eggs, beaten (this is usually 4 large or 5 medium Polyface eggs)

1 cup milk (I haven’t tried it, but I’m sure you could use coconut milk if needed)

1 Tbsp flour (white, whole wheat, gluten-free – doesn’t matter. I have made it without, but it’s not quite as nice)

1 cup cheese (your choice in flavor, I’ve used everything from colby to mozerella, cheddar, and pepper jack for a kick)

Brown the sausage, drain and spoon into the bottom of a pie pan. Mix eggs, milk and flour together. Pour over sausage. Sprinkle cheese on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

That’s it.

And you know the best part of this recipe? It tastes really good as leftovers, so you can make and bake the night before or take it to go for lunch. Yummy.

So how about you? Are you a breakfast person? If you are, does this make you a morning person too?

What is your favorite breakfast food? Have a recipe to share?

Sheri, , , , Permalink

22 Responses to Breakfast time

1. Mellisa says:

I am most definitely a breakfast person. Like your sister not really a ‘morning’ person but I am always hungry when I wake up. My all time favorites for breakfast are pancakes or waffles. Preferable with syrup or fresh fruit and whipped cream! Yum!

2. Joe Hernandez says:

Sheri, I can’t function well without breakfast. Quick, grap and run won’t do. When I have to leave at 5am I get up at 4 and cook breakfast and enjoy the meal. Years ago we’d work, milking cows, for 2 hrs before eating but we were having a big breakfast by 730am. My wife is the same as you. She will cook it for everyone but a cup of coffe is it untill mid morning. She’s not a morning person so it’s slow going in the am for her. Joe

3. Beckie says:

This sounds so yummy!! Will have to try it soon!!

4. Marie Keefe says:

Sheri, I’m a morning person – I hit the floor running! Also a breakfast person – starving right away! And it has to be protein – too much carbs or sugar makes me shaky. Right now, my refrigerator is overflowing with fresh eggs from my hens, so I love your recipe, thanks for sharing!

5. Wendell47 says:

Needs some kind of potato to the mix!

• Yes, it does. If you figure out a quick easy way to add them. Let me know!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Bebe says:

I have been a Polyface fan and advocate for years but I never knew there was a blog. Lucky me to have happened upon your blog this morning!
        About those potatoes for the pie: I have been using potatoes far less lately but the question above brought to mind something I used to do regularly: boil extra potatoes to keep in the fridge ready for a quick chop or grate. My kiddos love fried potatoes and having them precooked makes fried potatoes fast food!
        You could switch a cast iron skillet for the pie pan, grate and brown a layer of potatoes after you cooked the sausage then just put your pie ingredients on top of the fried potato layer and bake as you normally do.

6. Wonderwoman says:

Definitely a breakfast eater, but nothing too big. Usually a green smoothie with kefir early and then my ‘second’ breakfast at 10:30 – lol!

7. Dixie J says:

I am a morning person and a breakfast person. In fact we often have breakfast for dinner. Pancakes, french toast, waffles, eggs, omelets, egg casseroles…there are so many yummy choices.

8. Kerry says:

I’m like you, Sheri. The earliest I get hungry is about 9 or 10 each morning, and trying to eat before that can literally make me gag. Made it fun back in school when I was supposed to eat at 6:30 a.m.! I do like breakfast food, though, and we have wonderful eggs from our backyard, so we often have breakfast for supper. My mom’s buttermilk pancakes are hard to beat, although they just don’t taste the same when my sister and I make them for our families. We suspect there’s a secret ingredient she’s not telling us… ๐Ÿ™‚

9. I love breakfast! We always have a hot breakfast as a family before chores. Our family favorite is “Toads in the Hole”:
    Slices of homemade bread, cut out a 2.5 inch hole in the middle
    Put them on a hot griddle and crack an egg into each hole (throw the bread middles on the griddle as well!)
    Flip when ready (I prefer over easy, Hubby prefers over medium)
    Make a homemade hollandaise sauce (http://morningjoyfarm.blogspot.com/2010/05/our-special-breakfast.html)
    We love it!

10. I enjoy eating. Doesn’t matter what time of the day. I like food.

That said, I could go all day without a meal if I’m busy working on a project…and I’m always busy working on a project. I like checking things off of my list more than I like washing up for a meal. Just give me a big evening meal and a couple of quick snacks during the day and I’m fine.

11. Dawn says:

I’m a breakfast person and a morning person…but…not right away. I do outside chores, get kids ready and out the door for school and THEN like to sit down with breakfast and a book for 30 minutes. Favourite breakfast? Well, probably a BLT, but I don’t often have the ingredients all on hand simultaneously – maybe in August/September. Mostly I have toast and jam, but if I’ve got time I’ll make up some pan fries with onion, leftover veggies etc. I’m definitely not a muffin/croissant breakfast person, and I prefer pancakes for supper!

12. Ruth Anton says:

Morning yes, breakfast..well, for me its more like brunch. I start out with a little coffee with half and half from our local dairy, and I’m good to go til about 10. I’m a big fan of dinner left-overs from my brunch and then breakfast for supper!

13. Jessica says:

I love breakfast but I don’t necessarily like to jump out of bed for it! Sourdough pancakes are a winner here. We love breakfast casseroles too….and anything with eggs!

14. I love eggs, chorizo,garlic rice and coffee for breakfast.

15. Grace Hernandez says:

We’re going to try this! We’re always looking for new recipes, thanks a bunch!

16. Sometimes I am a morning person, sometimes I am not. Sometimes I like a big breakfast, sometimes not.

Recently my favorite breakfast has been a bagel with egg, cheese, and lunch meat. I cook the egg in the microwave in a small bowl. First I add 1 tbsp milk, scramble it with a fork, nuke for 30 sec, scramble again, nuke 30 more, flip it onto a small plate, and nuke it for a final 30 sec. I know it sounds complicated, but that’s the way I’ve found to not have the egg explode in the microwave.

17. audio design says:

Mostly I have toast with tea, but if Iโ€™ve got time Iโ€™ll make up some pan fries with onion, leftover veggies etc. I am definitely not a muffin breakfast person, and I prefer fruits for supper…

18. Alana says:

Every morning breakfast I have 2 eggs continuously bcz its so healthy and wealthy for all human beings.

19. Pingback: Homemade Granola | Polyface Hen House