The Big Herd

Earlier this week I helped move our big herd to a new paddock.  The move went really well.  This little newborn calf was the only one that didn’t follow everyone else.  It’s okay though, moving was new to him and he will learn.  He is the 4th calf of the season and like all calves, so cute!

The new calf. We later caught him and returned him to the herd.

I don’t think that I could ever become tired of watching the big herd move.  It is spectacular to stand and watch over 600 cows just keep coming, and coming, and coming, and then see them kick up their heels in delight at their fresh salad bar.

Moving out of the old salad bar.

Fresh Salad Bar!

Any new baby animals running around at your farm or in your backyard?

About Leanna Hale

Leanna Barth, born and raised in NC, first came to Polyface in July 2010 to attend one of the Intensive Discovery Seminars. She loved it so much that she applied for an internship position and was accepted for the 2011 season, after which she took the inventory/gardener position. Before coming to Polyface, she sold produce from her family’s market garden, along with homemade baked goods. This venture was mostly inspired by having read “You Can Farm” by Joel Salatin. Having always loved the outdoors, animals, and gardening Leanna is excited about this coming year, all that she will learn, and how the Lord will use this job later on in her life.
LeannaPermalink

11 Responses to The Big Herd

1. Dave Hawkins says:

Sorry for the off topic comment … I don’t know how else to contact Polyface … I hope Joel knows about this already … the State of Michigan is going to kill pigs on family farms on April 1 and basically put small family pig farmers out of business.

We need to spread the word and act fast on this one I think … http://www.naturalnews.com/035372_Michigan_pigs_farm_freedom.html

• Jill says:

Thanks for posting this. We live in MI and hope to do some pigs in the next few years, so I’ll definitely look into this issue!

• I read this also Dave. The idiocy here is astonishing, but should not be surprising. Government and big business have been in business together for centuries and nothing anyting soon will change this, well at least on it’s own. Some “Big Somebodies” behind the scenes are no doubt pulling strings.

My former Ag Instructor at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo was forced to Rob Rutherford who ran an holistic Land management class, made some comments that a giant Cattle Feedlot owner in the central Valley didn’t like and wrote the Dean and thraten to withhold payments on a grant unless Mr Rutherford was fired. He aslo was irritated at the visit of Michael Poland and if I’m correct possibly Joel was there as well. Agriculture is big business which make food safety slip thru the cracks.

2. Charles says:

We just got 30 new baby chicks on Monday. 10 each of Barred Rock, Black Giants and Rhode Island Reds. Do you guys ever have to pull calves? Or have you completely eliminated the problem?

Charles

3. Tonia says:

Goat kids just weaning off and we added 2 pigs yesterday.. They are 6 weeks old and hoping to raise them on Pasture.. However one got out yesterday and led us on a Wild Goose..er Hog chase up and down this Missouri hill! But with the help of our little dog Hobo we got him back to the house… I am hoping to add turkeys soon!

4. Sandy Watson says:

Our highland cattle get so excited when we move them to a new paddock. The girls run around and kick up. It’s adorable.

5. Texas Garden Gal says:

Our little place boasts 8 large black hog piglets, one new bull calf, 25 each layer chicks and and broilers and three guineas. Our other heifer is due next month. We watch with fascination as these mommies nurture and care for their babies and we assist by taking care of the moms. In the case of chicks we are substitute moms. What a privilege to be part a marvelous creation.

6. Becky Purcell says:

Six calves born, 10 more to go. 275 chicks and 15 turkeys arriving in 2 weeks.

7. Grace says:

Leanna, you’re fortunate you get to watch those baby calves. I love the babies! I know that wonderful feeling you’re describing when the cows move from pasture to pasture. You’re can just feel their delight, joy. They certainly do not repress their excitement. Good for them! Really nice photos.

8. Jill says:

Hi Leanna! Thanks so much for taking the time to talk to my husband and I for a few minutes the other day at the farm! You are all such an inspiration to us. We’ll be getting several cows in the next few weeks (no calves yet though!) and chicks soon after that. Can’t wait to get started on our own little grass-based farm here in Michigan!

9. Jill says:

Hi Leanna! I knew your family from COD when I lived in North Carolina. My family is in Florida now. I have been reading the “henhouse” posts for awhile before I realized just whose posts I was getting! Nice to see you!
    We have a new bunch of Australorp chicks that my two oldest are helping to raise, and we will be getting the calves soon for said chickens to follow before long. I’m not sure you can call the pastured broilers “babies”. They just don’t have the same amount of cuteness, but our first batch of the season are about half way “grown”.
    Again, good to “see” you!