Little Darlin’s

Driving back from the post office yesterday, I casually glanced over to the neighboring yard that ordinarily holds about a dozen goats…but this time, there were some new additions! I can’t help myself from finding them utterly endearing. From what I’ve heard, goats have got hilarious personalities and raising them certainly keeps you on your toes!

We don’t raise goats here at Polyface – we happily keep busy with our cows, pigs, layers, broilers, turkeys  and rabbits – but I know there’s got to be at least a few of you readers that raise them. So would you humor me today by telling me some of your best goat stories in the comments?

About Brie Aronson

Brie Aronson came to Polyface from southern California. During college, she was diagnosed with food allergies and had to begin asking about the source of every single thing she put in her mouth. This led to an interest in all things food and she sought out a way to learn how it can be produced ethically and sustainably. Her desire is to help people shift their focus from counting calories, being intimidated by their kitchens, and being disconnected from the land to one that experiences the life-giving enjoyment of food. Having completed the internship in summer 2010, she now assists with the buying clubs and sales building, leads school tours of the farm, and will be the summer 2012 farm cook.
BriePermalink

15 Responses to Little Darlin’s

1. No goats here yet either, but they are on the list. However, it is a looooong list so may be a while yet….

2. Betsy Hays says:

Hi Brie, love your posts but rarely have time to respond. But baby goats, what could be cuter (well, maybe my 6-month old grandson, but it’s a dead heat between him and the kids)?! Here in the most densely populated state, NJ, you actually don’t have to look far for baby goats this time of year. Mine are at Abma’s Farm in Wyckoff (Google it), one of the last family farms to make a go of such an operation. The twin black goats toddling around there right now are so adorable, I have to visit them when I stop by frequently to pick up fresh mozzarella, greens or apple cider. Come to think of it, we live a half hour from Manhattan, a 10-minute drive from the farm and a short walk from a 30-acre arboretum! It’s not all “Jersey Housewives”, “Jerseylicious” and “The Jersey Shore” here in the Garden State (but you can find those varieties, too, if you so desire). Happy first day of spring to all!

3. mitzi says:

I had a goat growing up, his name was Yankee and he was our “pet”. He thought he was a dog and would come in the house until my mother yelled at both of us to get out. After I went off to college, my Dad gave him to a petting farm, so he lived out the rest of his life being petted and loved…the life he deserved. I got him on Easter Sundy morning when he was just a little kid…goats are one of my favorite farm animals.

4. Ryan says:

We raise them and I must say as far as personalities go they are my favorite farm animals… At least our Lamanchas. Very stoic, curious and calm.

5. Paper Dragon Farms says:

Goat stories! Oh jeez….Our Pygmy Apline goats have tapped into the Matrix. I’ve never seen an animal get so much altitude from so little purchase. Sometimes it looks like none at all! They’ve calmed down a lot now that they’ve reached the Methuselah stage of pasture puffs, but as kids our girls were known to levitate out of their pen and sleep on top of our cars. Or bounce gleefully around our porch roof, or barn roof or…well climb trees! This isn’t one of ours, but we have similar stories. http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/525728/if-it-isnt-the-chickens-its-this

6. Kerry says:

We got our first goats, a pair of Nubians, when I was eleven. The billy had a curly calico coat, and the nanny was brown with white spots. They really were hilarious — the nanny had this way of chewing her cud while maintaining eye contact with you that told you she was seriously unimpressed with you or the cud or both. She was also an escape artist and amateur topiary creator. I can’t count the number of trees and shrubs she “pruned” for us, but there’s one particularly beautiful tulip tree behind my parents’ house that she ate from a four-foot sapling to a tiny stub. It came back and grew faster than ever thanks to her attentions.
    She got horribly sick one winter from eating a mountain laurel that we didn’t know had come up under an overhanging stream bank, and since a vet friend had told us that goats were either well or dead, we figured we’d make her last days comfortable. We tucked her into a nest of old blankets in the basement and fed her warm oatmeal and kitchen scraps, and a couple of days later she stood up and walked out the basement door like nothing had happened. I’m still not sure she didn’t strip the leaves off the laurel, throw them in the stream, and then start acting miserable just to get a few days of pampering.
    We’ve had many other goats in the past twenty years, including abandoned kids who grew up wearing diapers and being bottle-raised in the house, but I don’t think any of them could beat that old nanny for personality and mischief-making ability!

7. Caitlyn M. says:

Awww, what sweeties! I’ve been raising goats for a little over five years now, and oh goodness… They can certainly keep you hopping. There was the time my 18″ Dwarf doe got into the pen where my 5′ tall, 200 lb. buck lives; and the doe was in heat! Ack!! Or the time I got so fed up with the buck’s bad behavior that I dumped a 5 gallon bucket of water over his head. (goats despise being wet!) We won’t even mention the time I looked out the window and saw 10 of the goats sauntering down the road without my permission. Or the time the goat kids kept on wriggling their way through fencing until they managed to get onto our back deck several times in one day. LOL.

But I love goats… Out of all livestock, they’re my favorite. They’ll lick you like dogs, stay right next to you while you’re doing chores, they’re extremely affectionate, with a splash of orneriness, and a zest for life. They’re hoots. Just hoots. 😉

8. Kyle says:

We have 5 kids so far (pics available at http://www.sunnywoodfarm-maine.com/index/new_kids/0-26), more on the way, and yes, they are incredibly endearing, or “cunnin’ ” as we say in Maine (“Look at that baby goat; ain’t she cunnin’?”). Also very trainable. My favorite goat story has to do with the folks who delivered some firewood last fall. They arrived with their full-sized Alpine-Nubian cross, “Goaty,” sitting between them in the front of the truck. Goaty twitches trees out of the woods for them: the man takes him into the woods, hitches a tree to him, Goaty pulls it out to where the woman is waiting, gets unhitched, and makes his own way back to the man in the woods. I asked them whether Goaty wasn’t lonely with no other goats at home. “Oh he’s not lonely, he lives in the house with us.” He is, we were told, litter-box trained. Where does he sleep, I wondered? “In bed with us.” They keep the TV on for him so he can find his way to the litter box in the middle of the night.

• Sue Woodside says:

Can only shake my head over this one! I do not have any goats myslf ( never ever got hubby to consent to them), but my father raised them for years. used the milk and remember nothing tasted better than a goat steak. Also remember the kids in the spring were so much fun.

9. Lisa says:

We have Nubian goats. We have had 6 kids born in the last 4 weeks. We homeschool and the highlight of the day comes when it is time for “goat recess.” We take the new moms outside for some fresh air and put the babies all in one stall. The human kids and the goat kids play together. It is hilarious! The goat kids walk, jump, chew, and frolic all over the human kids. It is a great time for all involved.

10. Kate Johnson says:

A friend sent me your link – great site! We raise three types of dairy goats and I must say, they are my favorite farm animal. I write a blog (occasionally) at http://www.lifelessonsfromthebarnyard@blogspot.com and have many stories of my goats and other farm animals there. My favorite story was posted in Jan. 2011 called the Great Goat Adventure about driving 12 hours through a blizzard with my first two goats nestled in dog crates in the back of my minivan 4 years ago! It’s a day I’ll never forget and the beginning of a very fun adventure with these wonderful critters (we have 10 now; 4 due to kid soon!).

11. Annie says:

We had goats growing up, for milk and entertainment. We had a 250lb Nubian wether named “Alfred” that would ride in the cab of our pickup with his big head and long ears flapping out the passenger window. You can bet he turned a few heads driving down the highway!! Alfred also played the donkey or goat in more than a few Bible camp skits for the local camp. He spent the summers there with the kids…I’m not sure who had more fun at camp!

There isn’t anything cuter than a baby goat, not even puppies. We’re looking for goats now, as a matter of fact!

12. Olivia Persinger says:

I am planning on getting goats in the spring!
    I once had chase a goat through a huge field!

13. We have dairy goats…long story. more info at my website: http://www.libertyhomesteadfarm.com.