Winter Project

One of the reasons that I love this time of year so much is that there is more time for handiwork projects.  With the days still being short my evenings have been filled with releasing my need to bake, spin, quilt, and knit.  I am trying to do as much as possible because spring is near and once all the work starts with moving everything to pasture, starting the garden, sorting cows, pulling broiler pens, and so much more, I know that I won’t have much time to sit and work on these kind of projects anymore.

So, I thought that I would share with you my quilt that I am so close to finishing.  I started it September 2010.  I did quite a bit over that winter and then didn’t work on it much this past summer.  It is my first big hand quilting project and I started it knowing that it was going to take long time to complete, but I enjoy it and wanted to make something special.

Close up of one of my favorite blocks

What kind of projects do you do in the winter time?  I would love to hear about them!

About Leanna Hale

Leanna Barth, born and raised in NC, first came to Polyface in July 2010 to attend one of the Intensive Discovery Seminars. She loved it so much that she applied for an internship position and was accepted for the 2011 season, after which she took the inventory/gardener position. Before coming to Polyface, she sold produce from her family’s market garden, along with homemade baked goods. This venture was mostly inspired by having read “You Can Farm” by Joel Salatin. Having always loved the outdoors, animals, and gardening Leanna is excited about this coming year, all that she will learn, and how the Lord will use this job later on in her life.
LeannaPermalink

12 Responses to Winter Project

1. Lyn says:

What a beautiful job you are doing on your quilt! My Grandmother was a quilter and your stitches are even and perfect as her’s were 🙂 Thank you for sharing!

2. Kim Brittain says:

Your quilt is beautiful! I have never made a quilt, never learned to sew growing up, but someday I too am going to handquilt a quilt! I actually would love to tackle one made from jeans scraps first….we’ll see. In the winter I knit. I have a little one at home, so my projects are always simple ones that I can’t lose track of stitches:)

3. I quilt, sew and craft and spend a lot more time baking and making soups but my favorite winter time activity is looking through seed catelogs and planning next year’s garden! Your quilt looks stunning!

4. Kristen Beichler says:

Beautiful, Leanna! 🙂

5. Annie Carlson says:

Beautiful quilt!! I handcraft the winter through. I learned to read a crochet pattern this winter and am churning out hats for everybody I know. Now onto a cowl for me!

6. Sheri Salatin says:

The Monkey Wrench!! Love it 🙂 Great job. 🙂

7. Caitlyn M. says:

Wow! Awesome job, Leanna! In the winter I spend my free time knitting, spinning, writing, and making soap. 🙂 Alas, I’ve never had the patience to finish a quilt… I wish I did though; they look so pretty! LOL.

8. Ewetoo says:

Beautiful the colors you used! I love the seasonal life!

9. Kate booth says:

The quilt is beautiful! Your stitches are so even, and so lovely!

10. Michelle says:

That is EXQUISITE. I’m so happy for you! I hope to learn to quilt one day – perhaps when my children are older? Best wishes to you in finishing it up.

11. Carla Huffman says:

Beautiful stitch work! I’m sooo jealous!