Make Your Own _______

Lately I’ve been getting more and more interested learning how I can make some of my daily necessities at home rather than buying them at the store. One of our rental farmer’s wives taught me to make soap and laundry detergent recently…then I found a how-to online for making your own deodorant…and began reading a cookbook on foraging…each thing was so fascinatingly easy that I began to ask myself, why don’t more people do these things?

I know a big stumbling block for me along the way has been the comfort of convenience – and that is a difficult thing to beat. However, I’m finding the sense of accomplishment, the security of knowing exactly what ingredients are involved, and the monetary savings are all much more satisfying than convenience. I believe a sustainable lifestyle must come in little steps at a time. So each time I learn to make something on my own rather than buy it, I feel I’m taking another little step in the right direction.

It hit me today as I was thinking about all this that we have a whole community of people here on the blog who probably make LOTS of their own things for everyday use. Will you share your favorite do-it-yourself/make-at-home project? It can be anything you’d like to share!

And here is the laundry detergent recipe that I was taught. All items can be found on the laundry detergent aisle at the grocery store:

1.5 C Borax

1.5 C Washing Soda

1 grated bar of soap (Fels-Naptha)

Mix it all up and use a few tablespoons per load.

Share away in the comments!

About Brie Aronson

Brie Aronson came to Polyface from southern California. During college, she was diagnosed with food allergies and had to begin asking about the source of every single thing she put in her mouth. This led to an interest in all things food and she sought out a way to learn how it can be produced ethically and sustainably. Her desire is to help people shift their focus from counting calories, being intimidated by their kitchens, and being disconnected from the land to one that experiences the life-giving enjoyment of food. Having completed the internship in summer 2010, she now assists with the buying clubs and sales building, leads school tours of the farm, and will be the summer 2012 farm cook.
BriePermalink

77 Responses to Make Your Own _______

1. SueH says:

I would love a recipe for toothpaste, one with no floride or baking soda. If you get one would you send it to me or post it? Thanks

• Maria says:

We make our own toothpaste with just coconut oil (about 2 tablespoons) and baking soda (about 2 teaspoons). Sometimes I add a drop of peppermint extract too. It’s a bit salty, but my daughter and I both like it and it seems to do the job.

2. Great article! We have been journeying towards self-sufficiency also, and it has been a great ride so far. Something else that you may be interested in trying is making your own yogurt. We (meaning my wife and daughters, as I was out clearing bush) first created home-made yogurt this past summer, and it was absolutely excellent!

3. Jennifer says:

I have a friend at the farmers’ market who sells homemade laundry soap. I believe this soap can also be used in the dishwasher because it’s low suds. Her (similar recipe) soap does well in my dishwasher.

4. Joe Bergfeld says:

Brie, awesome post. We make homemade liquid laundry detergent . For under $15 we make enough to last the whole year. Thanks for talking about this. Im going to research more things to make myself. Im interested in toothpaste, deodorant, and others. Thanks Brie!

• Sarah says:

Joe, $15 for an entire year? That is definitely worth a bit of extra trouble in preparation! Do you use the same recipe posted here? If not, could you post your formula? That would be awesome.

• JOE BERGFELD says:

Sarah,
        Disclaimer: The results posted here may not be the results of all. That being said, I would be more than happy. We have a family of 2 adults and a 4yr old. Needless to say. Yes, this will be worth the effort and your wallet will thank you.

Yield: 180 loads for top loading washers. 600+ for front loaders.

1 BAR Fels Naptha (you can also use Ivory but use about 3 bars)

1 cup Washing Soda (Sodium Carbonate. Don’t mistake it for baking Soda. Not the same.)

1/2 Cup Borax

5 GL Pail

Instructions:
        1. Grate Soap into Sauce Pan. Add 6 cups of water. Heat until soap dissolves.

2. Add Washing Soda and Borax. Stir until it dissolves. Remove from heat.

3. Fill Pail half full with water.

4. Add soap mixture.

5. Fill the rest with water. Leave a little room at the top for expansion. Shouldn’t but just be safe. Stir.

6. Let sit for 24 hrs. Mixture will Gel. you can top off with water and stir mixture.

7. You can transfer into a gallon jug or old washed out laundry bottle. We use an old Tide bottle with spigot. works great.

8. Use 1/2 cup per load. Less if you have a front loader. Will not suds or will very little.

Note: If you want a fragrance you can add essential oils. Few drops will do it.

This will actually cost you way less than $15. A box of borax, washing soda, and bar soap will be around $12. You can make multiple batches. So I think they say it will cost you around a penny a load.

Hope this helps.

• Donna Claar says:

Hi Joe,

I just spent quite a bit on a new “High Efficiency” stackable washer/dryer and they have me just about scared to use anything but high efficiency (he) laundry detergent. I was wondering if you know if you can use this recipe in the new washers? I don’t dare gum up the works, so to speak of this expensive monster. I am already having regrets over the purchase and longing for my old faithful!

• Amanda Walker says:

I have a High Efficiency washer and dryer and if you look on the washing soda and the borax it says it is safe for use in a high efficiency. Not sure about the Fels-Naptha but I have been using this recipe for a little over a year and have had no problem. I have 4 boys and a small farm so our clothes get very dirty so I add a little oxy Clean( Like a teaspoon) to each load. It helps and the extra cost is minimal.

• Angela says:

I’ve been using the dry version in my HE for about five months without any issues.

• Brie Aronson says:

Thanks Joe! That’s awesome.

• Jennifer says:

I use this same recipe, except that I dilute this mixture one more time! Basically, after we have the 5 gallon bucket full of the mixture mentioned, I fill my smaller container half way with the soap and top it off with water, again! We have a front loading washer, and we use 1/4 cup per load.

5. Jen says:

I love making my own yogurt. All you need is milk, some store-bought yogurt, and a place to incubate. My favorite yogurt to use as a starter is called “Liberte” from Canada–VERY rich stuff. I use a whole 6-oz. container for up to 2 gallons of milk. Bring milk to 185 degrees, then chill in ice bath to 115. Add the starter yogurt, whisk well. Incubate. For incubation we use our Excalibur dehydrator set to 115. The finished yogurt can be drained to create a “cream cheese” type product (but it’s much drier) called “yogurt cheese” that’s great for cheesecake. I just smear it on toast or use it as a base for dips. Because yogurt is a cultured product, it keeps a LONG time.

• Brie Aronson says:

That Liberte stuff is darn good – thanks for the recipe!

• Janet Brookover says:

Jen, I have been making yogurt for many years. I do the same as you except I do not have an incubator. I simply wrap mine in a blanket or several large towels (with a lid on the container) and leave it in the oven or on the counter out of the draft, for about 24 hrs. It’s the best. I also drain the whey and make cream cheese. This is called lebon or lebneh (pronounced leb knee) (not sure how to spell it) and is a staple food in the lebanese diet. My husband is lebanese. The yogurt can be used in many different ways. One of my favorites is to chop cucumbers very tiny and a small amount of finely chopped dill or even mint. Marinate a few hours and serve as a dip or great added to lamb or veggie sandwiches.

6. Heather says:

Hi Brie, for washing clothes I just use the washing soda, no borax or bar of soap. I found an article on this in a small farm magazine we subscribe to 4-5 years a go and that’s all I’ve used ever since. Works a charm though no (smelly) soapy scent. I sometimes add a bit of fabric softener – which I’d love to have an at-home enviro-friendly recipe for..

7. Shari Miller says:

I also make my own laundry soap and have for years….I even quit using paper towels and napkins…only cloth in this house now….except for toilet paper..haha…I can’t seem to get the troops in on that one yet 🙂

• Brie Aronson says:

Quitting paper towels and napkins really got me thinking…I would love to use less, and eventually none. Thanks for the inspiration!

• Jennifer says:

We have cut our TP use by about 50%. My kids only use the cloth wipes. My husband and I are willing, but sometimes, convenience still gets the best of us!

8. Kathy LeCount says:

I like to use condensed cream soups in recipes but didn’t like the high sodium/high fructose, overprocessed soups from the grocery. I was surprised how easy this was to make and it worked perfectly!
    I found this recipe for
    Condensed Cream of Muchroom Soup:

*1 teaspoon onion powder
    ◦2 tablespoons cornstarch
    ◦1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    ◦1/8 teaspoon pepper
    ◦1/4 teaspoon salt
    ◦Pinch of sugar
    ◦1 cup whole milk
    ◦ about 3/4 c fresh mushrooms, chopped
    Directions
    1.Put all the ingredients except the mushrooms in a food processor and pulse until smooth. Add mushrooms and pulse a couple of times.
    2.Pour into a 2-quart microwave safe bowl and microwave on HIGH for 3 minutes, whisk after two minutes and then again at the end of cooking time. If soup is not thick enough, add 30 seconds and whisk again.

9. Rachel says:

I make yogurt, too, but in my crockpot. SO EASY!

I also make my own facial cleanse, using the oil cleansing method. I mix about 1 part castor oil to 1 part olive oil. To use, rub some into face, cover with very warm washcloth, and let washcloth sit until it cools. Rinse washcloth and repeat. Then use the washcloth to rub face lightly, getting dirt off and oil in. Then just towel dry! You can google it to find out more, but it does leave your face so smooth and pores so small (even if you have oily skin!)

And the price is minimal.

• Sheri Salatin says:

Rachel, I would love to have your recipe on making yogurt in the crockpot. Will you share?

• Rachel says:

Sure! Here it is (this makes a little over a gallon. You can adjust amounts according to what you need):

1 gallon milk (we prefer whole; we’d use raw if we could get it!)
        1/2 to 1 cup yogurt (if you don’t have any from previous batch, our favorite is Stonyfield Organic Whole Milk baby yogurt)
        1 c. powdered milk (optional)
        sugar or other sweetener (optional)
        1 Tbsp. vanilla (optional)

I start mine in the morning.

Pour 1 gallon milk into your crockpot. Cover, set the crockpot on “LOW” and leave it for 2-3 hours.

Turn the crockpot “OFF” and let the milk sit in there until it cools to anywhere between 95-110 degrees (cool enough to stick your finger in but too hot to keep it in for longer than 2-3 sec.) It takes about 2 hours.

Put about 1 cup of this cooled milk into a bowl. Add about 1/2 – 1 cup yogurt to the 1 c. of milk, and whisk well with a wire whisk. Dump this back into the large pot of milk. If you are using sweetener, vanilla, and/or powdered milk, add those now. Whisk well.

Put the lid back on the crockpot (which is still off), cover it with a bath towel, and leave it for anywhere from 4 hours to overnight. When it is custardy, put the yogurt into the jars and refrigerate. It will set up more in the fridge. DONE!

10. Barbara says:

Learned recently that apple cider vinegar helps with underarm odor. I use organic ACV and so far it’s been working great!

11. Charisa says:

Someone asked for fabric softener..I use vinegar in place of fabric softener and in place of the expensive jet dry in the dishwasher. Works great in both places!

12. Annie Carlson says:

Love homemade laundry detergent! I use Ivory soap rather than Fels Naptha. 1 bar grated soap, 1/2 cup Borax, 1/2 cup washing soda. I do 10 bars at a time and it fills my glass cookie jar container and lasts 6 months.

I make my own biscuit mix (like Bisquick) that is our pancake and waffle base, also makes great quick muffins. I have a dry ingredients recipe for “cream of” soups. Just 1/3 of a cup into 1 cup of water in a little saucepan and it thickens wonderfully in just minutes.

13. Annie Carlson says:

Maybe we could have a side bar link to homemade recipes? It would be great to gather and share these ideas.

14. Kelly says:

I am sure others make their own stocks, but thought I would share mine. I accumulate chicken, pork, or beef bones in bags in the refrigerator until I fill a gallon-size bag. Then I put into the crock-pot with a couple left-over vegetables and water…cook on low all day. Strain out the bones, vegetable pieces, etc. and put into jars. Great for making noodles, rice, recipes, etc. Making pork broth with left-over bones is wonderful when cooking beans.

• Karen Hardy says:

Great idea! I checked with a local store for soup bones and they cost nearly as much as for the meat alone! Get that second use from your own bones! I learned you can crush the bones and add some vinegar and the broth will leach out calcium for your bones too! Blessings and Balance

15. Tonia says:

I have been making my own laundry soap for a while and I use all the things you mention but I make it a liquid and add a small bottle of Original Dawn dish soap. Because while the clothes were clean it wouldn’t remove oily stains.. The dawn fixed it and Dawn is biodegradable too.. I have been working on a homemade deodorant but as of yet the baking soda is still a little harsh for me and keeps causing issues.

16. Just started using my own homemade kitchen cleaner. 1 part vinegar, 1 part water and a bit of lemon juice. No more chemicals for my counter tops!

17. Mike Sziede says:

We use vinegar, water and a drop of dish detergent in a spray bottle to clean countertops, windows, everything.

@Sheri – I would love to know of something I could do with bacon fat. I know I could use it to make soap but making lye sounds like a pain. I hate to waste it but I only use a fraction of what I save for cooking (rubbed onto baked potatoes, used for frying eggs, etc.)

It seems like animal fat is a huge waste to me because there is so much energy concentrated in it. I don’t need it, but I hate to see all that sunshine in the trash.

• Janet Brookover says:

Make suet cakes for the birds. They love bacon grease mixed with some peanut butter, oats, seeds of any kind, cornmeal. Almost anything you can think of. Freeze it in blocks and then put it in a suet basket. They will love you for it.

18. PeterPansDad says:

We use Zote instead of Fels-naptha. To be honest, I’m scared of Fels-naptha. Zote is mainly beef tallow and coconut oil and you can find it in most Mexican grocery stores.

We make a powdered laundry detergent. The extra time and storage of a liquid don’t seem to make a positive difference.

• Laura says:

PeterPansDad: thanks for the tip on the Zote. I too am scared of Fels-naptha…I’m not sure what’s in it, but it has a weird smell. I will look for Zote at the local Mexican grocery store.

• Brie Aronson says:

Good tip – thanks for that. I want to try Zote next time.

19. Diana Boeke says:

It is a good feeling to be able to make more of what you need, with ingredients you can feel okay about. On the luxurious side, I got hooked on exfoliation when living in Egypt, where you just weren’t considered clean unless you loofahed and scrubbed with something oily and gritty. The best is a home-made sugar scrub:
    1 cup brown sugar (lightly packed)
    1/4 cup olive oil
    2 tbsp honey
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    2 tbsp fragrant crushed fresh lavender (optional)or a few drops of lavender essential oil

As full-time farmers living in lean times, my husband and I are more concerned with doing a lot more ourselves, from fixing our roof to grading our walkway and doing our own vehicle maintenance. All of that was new to us last year when we started farming, but now I am no longer intimidated by the thought of putting up a fence or some other project that it always seemed to me required extraordinary knowledge and tools.

• Brie Aronson says:

Just made some of this for gifts at a party! It feel so nice!
      Good luck to you and your husband.

20. Kristin says:

Diana- what you said about exfoliating in Egypt is so interesting! I think I’m going to try your sugar scrub! 🙂 -Kristin Pike

21. Ruth says:

A few things I’ve learned:
    You can use any kind of soap in your laundry detergent recipe. I started out thinking you could only use Fels Naptha, but I didn’t like that it’s petroleum-based, so I switched to Ivory, which worked great. Then I started using Castille soap, and finally now I’m using homemade tallow soap.
    A really good book for learning how to make a lot of things on your own (from lotions, soaps, and toothpaste alternatives to saurkraut and vinegars, and also basic gardening, chicken butchering, and a lot more!) is Making It by Kelly Coyne and Erik Knutzen (you can read my blog post about it here: http://www.thecheerfulagrarian.blogspot.com/2012/01/favorite-books-of-2011-1-making-it.html

If anyone is interested, I also have a post on how to make yogurt in a cooler (once you heat up your milk and starter, there’s no more electricity needed – I actually have a batch incubating right now!) http://www.thecheerfulagrarian.blogspot.com/2011/04/making-homemade-yogurt-in-cooler.html

22. NancyLee says:

Yogurt can be so easily made in a cooler. Do all the regular preliminary steps: heat non-UP milk to 185, cool to 110, innoculate either with yogurt culture (google “cheese queen”) OR 4 to 6 oz from a previous batch of yogurt, or good quality store-bought yogurt (must contain live cultures!), pour into glass canning jars, place jars in a cooler filled with water from the tap (usually comes out of tap around 120 but will lose a few degrees to the walls of the cooler, which you can check with a candy thermometer; should be between 108 and 112 degrees F – you don’t want to kill your cultures!)and let it sit for 8 to 12 hours. Make sure the water reaches the shoulder of jars. I do it at night and wake up to fresh, delicious yogurt. So easy, so good, so CHEAP!
    I cleanse my face with warm water and baking soda (splash on very warm wter, put BS in palm of hand and rub it lightly into wet skin), than while face is still warm, rub lightly with a small amount of olive oil. Your skin will be SOOOOO soft. If an astringent is needed, keep white vineger and water (50/50) in a spray bottle and spritz face lightly.
    I use vinegar for cleaning almost anything and everything! I pour it into the washing machine when washing the doggie bed covers to nuetralize oders. They comne out very fresh-smelling!

23. Maria says:

Does anyone know if these homemade laundry soaps are effective for cloth diapers? Does anyone have a good recipe for a laundry stain remover (such as Shout or Oxy Clean)?

My new favorite All Purpose cleaner is one part vinegar-one part water-1 tablespoon castile soap in a spray bottle. I used it plus baking soda to scour my oven and kitchen sink last week.

24. Marci says:

I make homemade condensed soups, seasonings (like taco or chili), laundry soap, yogurt and other things as well. You just have to plan ahead. I use a liquid tincture to brush my teeth. I have been washing my hair with baking soda and water for over 2 years now. I use a vinegar and water rinse.

I would love to have the recipe for a homemade deodorant that works.

• Brie Aronson says:

That’s awesome, Marci. Would you share the liquid tincture recipe for brushing teeth? And is there a good ratio/amount of baking soda you use for your hair?
      I haven’t personally tried the deodorant recipe I found yet – it’s on my list – but the recipe EllaJac posted below is identical! Good luck and let us know what you think of it when you make it.

25. Lisa Rose says:

I’d love to know how the deodorant worked out, and if you like it, what the recipe is!
    Thanks for posting!
    Lisa

26. Lisa Rose says:

For diapers I always soaked them in borax overnight in the washing machine then spun them out in the morning and ran as a regular load. Dry in the sun for extra freshening.

27. Caitlyn M. says:

We make a lot of stuff from scratch. Laundry soap, toothpaste, soap, cooking mixes…. Anything we can make on our own, we do! One of our favorite “Make your own” mixes is our own ranch dressing for salads. Sooooo much better than store bought!
    It’s made up of:

4 heaping spoonfuls of sour cream
    3 heaping spoonfuls of mayonnaise
    Season with garlic salt, onion powder, and dill, until you like the taste!
    Add milk to thin it to a pour-able consistency (you can leave the milk out to make a dip!)

Easy to make. Delicious to use. 😉

28. EllaJac says:

I’ve been using my own homemade deodorant for a couple years now. I LOVE it, it works better than other aluminum-free kinds I’ve tried, and it’s easy. I think I use about a 1/2c each of baking soda and cornstarch (arrowroot would work), work in enough coconut oil to hold it together, add some drops of lavender essential oil.. I pack it into my ‘old’ stick deodorant container, and keep the rest in the fridge. Note: in warmer climates you may need ot refrigerate your stick of deodorant, or use a brush to paint it on. 🙂 coconut oil is liquid above 76˙F

I also make my own lip balm/diaper cream/’hard’ lotion. Recipes abound, but I use coconut oil, beeswax shea or cocoa butter (cocoa butter is like chocolate!) and orange essential oil or ?? I love the ‘chocolate orange’ flavor best. 🙂

I make my own laundry SUPPLEMENT. we have SUPER hard water and the standard recipe just doesn’t do the job. I have a new recipe to try for dishwasher detergent (same issue) but haven’t yet (I use melaleuca’s diamond brite with great results). White vinegar is fabric softener and jet dry (if you use cloth diapers with PUL covers, omit vinegar. It will cause the PUL to separate from the fabric), and mixed with water makes good window cleaner. Use 1c each of water and isopropyl alcohol, plus a T or two of vinegar to have that brisk, evaporative ‘windex’ type spray.

• Brie Aronson says:

Thanks so much for the tips, EllaJac!

• Maria says:

Wow, super helpful. I want to try the deodorant. And I’ve been meaning to make a lotion bar for my kid who has eczema, but know that I know it might work as a diaper cream, maybe I’ll be motivated enough to order some cocoa butter. Thank you, EllaJac!

29. Kate S. says:

Hmmmm….I make my own soap, laundry detergent, baby powder (just mix 2/3 arrowroot powder with 1/3 lavender powder), yogurt, stock, kefir, kombucha, herbal smoothie mix, bread, certain cheeses, jelly, salsa, sauce, household cleaners, compost, some articles of clothing, cloth wipes, some household linens, some cosmetics, almost all food items….

I will be making soon my own deodorant and toothpaste.

I would love to make my own shampoo, though my homemade soap does a decent job, and my own dish detergent. I haven’t found anything that works with my hard water.

My disappointing vice is that I use Lysol toilet bowl cleaner to clean my toilet and tub because of the staining. We have heavy iron in our water. This works the best. I’m going to try Bon Ami to see if this cleans it out. Otherwise, I’ve had pretty good success with just using washing soda and vinegar, but when we have a heavy rain the staining gets worse and I have to use something stronger.

• Janet Brookover says:

I have been making my own shampoo bar for over a year and love it. I found the recipe on motherearthnews.com. The author of the article said she had been using the same recipe for more than 15 years. It is a little expensive to make but each recipe makes more than 10 bars and has great suds. I wasn’t sure about it the first few times I used it because it leaves wet hair feeling stiff, but soft when dry. You need to know how to make lye soap to make this recipe.

Shampoo Bar

12 oz. cold distilled water
      4.4 oz. sodium hydroxide (lye)
      8 oz. olive oil
      6 oz. castor oil
      2 oz. sweet olive oil
      1 oz. jojoba oil
      1 oz. kukui oil
      8 oz. coconut oil (76 degree)
      6 oz. palm oil (palm kernel)
      1 oz. ea. rosemary and peppermint essent. oil. I sometimes mix it up with tea tree oil.

I also buy all my oils and essential oils from libertynatural.com. Good luck!

• Janet Brookover says:

Sorry, I said sweet olive oil in the shampoo recipe. I mean’t “sweet almond oil”.

30. Brie Aronson says:

I have a HUGE smile on my face right now…thanks so much everybody for sharing your tips here. There is a wealth of knowledge between us all and I just love how everyone pitched in. I have a whole new list of things to try!

31. Pam says:

Wow! Thank you all for sharing. We have blindly purchased these supplies but I think that will slowly change. I have a lot to learn.

32. debbie says:

I love this topic! I’ve been experimenting with various types of homemade products and foods for a while now. Here is a recipe for a “Cream of _____” dry soup mix that is wonderful!

2 c powdered milk
    3/4 c cornstarch
    1/4 c chicken, or beef, or vegetable bouillon granules
    1 tsp of onion powder or 2 Tbsp dried onion flakes
    1 tsp garlic powder
    2 tsp Italian seasoning (or your favorite herbs)
    1/2 tsp pepper

Combine all ingredients in an air tight container. Will stay good for up to one year.

To make the equivalent of one can of “Cream” soup:
    Combine 1/3 cup mix and 1 1/4 cup water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly until it thickens. (about 5 minutes)

This makes approximately 3 cups of mix and is the equivalent of 9 cans of soup.

33. Nancy Erickson says:

this is my first time on this blog, and I too love this topic. Regarding the homemade laundry soap: The recipe I use adds Dawn to the mix (someone asked about that)
    grate 1 bar Fels-Naptha or Ivory soap into 1 qt water in saucepan, heat on medium until melted–do not boil.
    1 c 20 mule team borax laundry booster
    1 c arm and hammer super washing powder
    1/2 c Dawn dish soap
    Pour all into 5 gallon bucket. Add 2 1/2 gallons hot water, stir. Let set overnight, to thicken. I also “cheat” and add about 4c liquid detergent, for the whitener/ bluing agent. But you could add oxiclean or whatever to a white load, instead.

34. Megan Monterrosa says:

I am so thankful for all these great recipes! I am a wannabee homesteader and excited to start making some of these things at home.:)

35. I grew up as a kid doing this with my family in both the States of Iowa and California. Sadly it has become a lost art. Who generations totally disinterested in many of the wholesome things of life and attached like some Cyborg to multiple amounts of electronics.

Thanks for the article.

Kevin

36. Kris Porter says:

I know this is an older topic – but you really should check out simplemom.net – Tsh (who blogs there) has recipes for everything around the home. All cleaning products and all beauty products. She also has a book (or three) that covers these things. Also, I really really love kitchenstewardship.com – Katie there has tons of real food how to recipes (she experiments a lot in the kitchen, so you don’t have to!) and info on how to make bread, yogurt, granola, brownies, crackers, tortillas – lots of “convenience” items that she makes from scratch. Next up for me – make your own Insect repellent! (Thanks to hardlotion.com blogger Renee).

37. Pingback: Make Do With What You’ve Got CHALLENGE | Polyface Hen House

38. Holly says:

I make my own candles, I pour what ever ‘wax’ I have into old votive holders, baby food or salsa jars. I have used our bee’s wax, tallow from the deer (P>U>) and cow. I have also remelted the scraps of old candles. The part I haven’t figured out yet is how to make my own wicks. 🙁