The Art of Crochet

I’d like to think of myself as a “crafty person”. Not like the puff-painted-and-bedazzaled-t shirt kind of person, but crafty none the less.

In an effort to appease the creative bursts of energy that I often get, I’ve decided to start a winter project: learning the art of crochet. I used to know how to crochet, but for some reason, this skill is not like riding a bike for me…I just can’t remember how to do it. I even got a how-to booklet, but the diagrams aren’t very clear. Luckily, my mom happens to be an expert in the field of crochet (she made crocheted baby blankets for my sister, brother, and I while she was pregnant with each of us!) This week, my parents and Buddy and I are making a roadtrip to see my sister, brother-in-law, and niece. Hopefully at some point on this trip, my mom will be able to bestow her crochet wisdom to me…no pressure Mom!

Until then, a fresh spool of yarn, a crochet hook, and an eagerness to learn is all I’ve got. Hopefully this will turn into something beautiful when I’m done!

Happy Monday and Happy crafting!

About Jill Powers

Jill Powers
JillPermalink

12 Responses to The Art of Crochet

1. Amy says:

I just recently started crocheting again. It’s pretty easy to remember once you get started again. I’m going crazy making curly cue scarves for Christmas right now!

2. Lani says:

Last year I learned to knit by watching dozens of YouTube instructional videos. I had just had my daughter and she preferred to be in her baby carrier all day long so I found myself standing and swaying for long periods of time. It was the perfect time to learn. I love it. Still not a great knitter but I find it very relaxing.

I recently purchased some crochet hooks but haven’t quite figured crocheting out yet. Maybe someday!

3. Angie Mohr says:

Such a beautiful color!

4. Annie says:

Other than making a pretty awesome potholder, I don’t know how to crochet. But I LOVE to quilt, knit, embroider and all other sorts of hand-crafts!! I’m just telling myself that it’s only a matter of time before I learn…

5. i have just learned to crochet after years and years of not getting it. You Tube is the place to go. It is so addictive – I love it! Good luck.
    Jacqui

6. Sarah Scott says:

I used youtube to learn how how to crochet! Love it!

7. kcyardener says:

As an avid beginner crocheter, I cannot recommend highly enough “Stitch ‘N Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker” by Debbie Stoller. If you need more instruction than your family has time to give during your visit, do check it out; the directions are super-clear, with helpful photos and diagrams. Also some neat projects to work through. Welcome to the crafting fold! 😀

8. Caroline says:

My grandmother taught me to crochet a chain when I was 5 years old. At 16 I married into an East Tennessee hill country family where my mother-in-law crocheted only by pattern; grandmother-in-law only by copying. They taught me to do both. IN time I taught myself to crochet without pattern or copying, never really thinking about it as “original,” just making exactly what I wanted to wear, make for my kids, or display. In ~1972 the South Carolina Arts Council recognized my work as unique and included some of my pieces in a state-wide travelling exhibition. I’ve never really stopped crocheting, and today I am in the process of making a QUITE unique hanging piece to hold remote controls for our TV, DVD player & sound system. The main challenge for this piece will be to make it stable enough to hang straight (not sagging) & flat against the column beside our “entertainment center.” I think that’ll require a stable fabric back hand-stitched onto the crocheted piece plus Velcro, & probably stapling to the (2×6 lumber) column. I’m thankful every day that I still have the vision & manual dexterity to create whatever I dream up!

9. I may have to try and learn but in the past knitting and crochet never clicked with me. I quilt and embroider. I may have to get everyone in the family some yarn and a hook and we’ll sit down in front of you tube for school! Homeschooling Farms! I used to say “Rocks!” but I prefer farming to rock-n-roll.

10. manveen says:

best of luck for your project

do check mine http://thearksbloom.blogspot.com/

11. If you struggle at all I found that following videos on youtube really helped. I started learning to crochet this way (now an addict) and am starting to learn to knit the same way 🙂

12. Mary says:

I second the Youtube suggestions! I’ve made a few blahnkets this year, it’s a great hobby and productive too. Good luck on your project, love that color!