Dino-the-Dinosaur-shaped Nuggets Don’t Grow on Chickens

No, really? Are you sure?

I’m thought for sure there was a muscle group on a chicken called Dino.

Since we’re on the subject of cutting up chickens and preparing food in it’s raw form, I thought that I would share this video of Daniel cutting up a Polyface chicken. Can you do it?

Joel talks about the friend that was in the grocery store buying staples – flour, salt, sugar, potatoes, butter, etc – when a lady behind him asked, “What do you eat?”

Do you rely on raw ingredients or do you need things that are ready-to-eat? What could you do to change your ready-to-eat meals? What is holding you back?

Earlier this week, someone posted on this blog asking for my Lard recipe that uses a crock pot. You can find it here.

And in honor of the story I told last week about the squash that I requested from the farmers’ market, here is our recipe for Cheesy Squash Casserole.

2 lbs yellow summer squash, sliced (This why I can mine in the summer)

2 eggs

1/4 cup green pepper, diced

1/4 cup onion, diced

1 cup mayo (I like to use Kristen’s Mayo)

1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese

1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

1/2 cup butter, melted

1 cup bread crumbs

Cook squash till tender, drain. Mix with other ingredients, except the butter and breadcrumbs. Pour into a casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Mix butter and breadcrumbs together and top the casserole 10 minutes before its done. (the butter and bread crumbs are optional. I have made it several times without for my gluten-free friends)

What about you? What one thing have you made in your kitchen this week completely from scratch?

Folks This Ain't Normal, SheriPermalink

14 Responses to Dino-the-Dinosaur-shaped Nuggets Don’t Grow on Chickens

1. alison says:

Man, not like that! I learned to do chickens after reading a step by step blog post, and my chickens don’t always look so nice. Hey, atleast I did figure out not to cut a gigantic circle around the vent leaving them completely bereft of a rear! πŸ˜‰

I was going to say enchilada casserole, because we made our own corn tortillas, but I did top it with a hispanic brand of enchiladas sauce(hispanic brands tend to not have as many preservatives and modified food starch nonsense). My cooking, in this season of my life, is a strange mix of from scratch and convenience(canned tomatoes, frozen veggies) mostly because the business we own has kept us from our garden for the past two years. It’s kind of sad that the family business is the one thing holding us back from eating from scratch. πŸ™

2. I made a cake from scratch and buttercream frosting from scratch for my daughter’s birthday. I’m moving toward “scratch” for everything. My poor children will look in the fridge and pantry and complain there is nothing to eat because they are looking for processed junk to quickly consume. I tell them we have plenty to eat you just need to make it. But right now I have a long way to go… I made pizza a couple of days ago but the sauce was store bought and the cheese pre-shredded and mass produced. I still buy tortillas and pasta and lots of other things. Sigh.

3. Dorothy says:

I made french bread from scratch for the first time this week! It came out great, I mixed it with whole wheat flour so it was denser and heartier than normal french bread. I also made homeade granola, and then since my boys weren’t crazy about that I turned it into Peanut Butter Granola Balls, which they did like and fit well into their lunch boxes. Will be roasting one of your lovely chickens for dinner tonight, then the carcass will make a great chicken soup. I wish I had purchased more, but we missed the last drop cause we were out of the country. Couldn’t help but recall the airplane food chapter as I disected what was supposedly Pizza. Most. Disgusting. Food? Ever. Planning to visit a farm this weekend to consider a share of a cow, maybe they will have some chickens for sale.

I just love this book – and hate it too. It makes me so mad while I’m reading it (to see what we sheeple have allowed in this country), I have to read just a few pages at a time. I just bought two extra copies to share with family and friends!

It’s so overwhelming at times, I have been on a healthy food kick since having kids. I knew I wanted them to have good habits, and not have to try to change bad eating habits later. While I think I do a decent job, the more I learn the less successful I feel! I was in a grocery store with them (3 boys) and they were all picking out red produce, apples, bell peppers, radishes, tomatoes etc. a woman came up to me totally astonished that my kids were willingly choosing vegetables. That’s great, but I still have one child who loves McDonalds nuggets, and though we only go there about once every three months, it still pains me to do it. But I feel like such a mean mother not letting them do fast food once in a while (our school has fundraisers there once a month! I cant even bring myself to go there that frequently, but of course all their friends do it). But I digress. Keep up the good work!

• I understand how you feel Dorothy, the more I learn the less successful I feel. I think you’re doing a great job by letting your boys pick out produce. Baby steps is key I think. Keep it up!

4. Last night we enjoyed steak, mushrooms, broccoli, and brown rice. It felt good to eat whole foods, and I felt proud my husband (process food junkie) enjoyed it as well. The simple things I think are best sometimes.

5. Mike Sziede says:

Last night we had baked rigatoni. The sauce was from homemade from sausage and home-canned tomatoes. Would that all of the ingredients were locally-sourced, but it’s a hell of an effort to get even 50%. We do get our eggs local (delivered!) and we have a CSA share.

Love Polyface and all your work. Wish we lived closer, but I guess the farmers at the Northern end of the Shenandoah valley need love too.

6. PeterPansDad says:

I saw that video two years ago when we first started with broilers. I have made a lot of money thanks to that video. I don’t know how many chickens I have cut up now. Hundreds. People are amazed that I can cut boneless breast meat…like it’s something you can only get from the freezer section. I would never have thought to use a beef skinner but it’s perfect. How can I say thanks? Do you want me just to say, “Thanks” or would you rather have a check? How about both?

A Youtube series on rabbit processing featuring Daniel would be awesome. A series of blog entries on rabbit recipies would be great too.

I’m not in the house much so I only make egg noodles and wash dishes. The wife has baked our own bread for quite a while now but we do find ourselves wandering away from the perimeter of the grocery store to the things on the shelves from time to time. Oreos and Velveeta seem to know my name.

7. Laura says:

I make everything I can from scratch…bread, desserts, jams, dinners, breakfast muffins, etc. I think I only buy things like dairy and a few conveniences, such as peanut butter. The one problem, like Cynthia mentioned, is keeping the pantry stocked with snacks. I need to work on that, but for now I tell my kids to get nuts or raw fruit or veggies from the fridge, which doesn’t always go over well. πŸ™‚ I would love to hear of any quick, healthy snacks other readers make or that you make, Sheri.

8. Shrader Thomas says:

I’ll tell you one thing I’m going to make — your cheesy squash casserole! I’ve been craving it since you first wrote about it.

I made some Amish potato rolls for Thanksgiving. Got the recipe from my Amish friend Matt’s mom. Called for an electric stand mixer! Didn’t seem very Amish to me. I used my hands.

My 5-year old nephew loves to eat shaped chicken nuggets (dinosaurs, cartoon characters, etc.). It’s been a thorn in my side. So, last week when I was watching him, I made us a whole chicken — he wasn’t too happy about it — then I ripped off the drumstick and told him he was a caveman devouring his prey! He tore right into it and ate ’em both! Ok, I know, it’s still playing with his food. But it felt better to me, and was certainly healthier for him…

9. Susan says:

If I’m eating it, there is a good chance it was made from scratch. I feel blessed that this is how my mom cooked, so it came naturally for me.

10. Dorothy says:

Ok, so had a great roasted chicken dinner, but I have noticed some differences between the pastured poultry vs. scary chickens. If I cook til it reaches 180, its WAY over done. I shoot for 160 now. I got it right tonight, stayed moist. Has anyone else noticed the temp doesnt need to be as high to be done with a pastured chicken?

• Sheri Salatin says:

Yes, that is true of all grass fed meats. There are several sources out online and in cookbooks now that will help you with this. One thing that I have that is really useful is a magnet that sticks to my fridge. It has the temperatures on it for each meat. You can find it here. http://grassfedcooking.com/grassfed-cooking-store/magnets/

Cooking grass fed meats is definitely an art. πŸ™‚

11. Carla Roselli says:

Great tutorial….I have wanted to practice this for quite a while. Just one question. Does the knife he is using have a name? I have never seen one like it.

Thank you.

12. Joyce says:

How do you can yellow summer squash? Can I can zucchini the same way?