New Year’s in November

Like most people, I tend to make my New Year’s resolutions on or near January 1st. But this fall, I’ve noticed that changing leaves and cooler weather are making me want to take time to focus on the past summer and make goals for next year. Maybe it’s the spirit of reflection that seems to come with Thanksgiving, and acknowledging gratefulness for what has been. I’m making lists of what I want to get better at for my job, and new things I want to try. I’m feeling very creative lately, and finding inspiration in lots of different things.

I was thinking, today – that we could all share a goal we’re looking forward to working on between now and next fall? Doesn’t have to be anything big or serious (although feel free to share those if you want)!

I for one would like to get better at baking by weight with a kitchen scale, rather than using measuring cups.

And you?

About Brie Aronson

Brie Aronson came to Polyface from southern California. During college, she was diagnosed with food allergies and had to begin asking about the source of every single thing she put in her mouth. This led to an interest in all things food and she sought out a way to learn how it can be produced ethically and sustainably. Her desire is to help people shift their focus from counting calories, being intimidated by their kitchens, and being disconnected from the land to one that experiences the life-giving enjoyment of food. Having completed the internship in summer 2010, she now assists with the buying clubs and sales building, leads school tours of the farm, and will be the summer 2012 farm cook.
BriePermalink

9 Responses to New Year’s in November

1. Oh, haha, that’s what I do for a living! I’m a baker and we only use a baker’s scale. I really love it. It’s going to be hard to go back to baking with cups and such.

A goal, huh? Well, I would like to have incorporated more local foods into my diet and establish some sort of raw milk something(it’s illegal here)! I guess even though I’ve been a proponent of local foods for a while I’ve realized how unwilling I can be to really hunt for obscure sources and make it work. I’d like to see myself practicing what I preach more.

2. Erica Ferguson says:

I’ve been thinking about next years goals a lot lately. I want to expand my garden and tackle canning jellys/jams. I want to buy more from our local farmer’s market. The big one is I will use my pressure canner for the first time. I would really like to overcome my fear of that thing.

• Brie says:

I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one afraid of a pressure canner! It’s also something on my goal list 🙂

3. Jill says:

We do deer processing as a seasonal business, so the fall is usually pretty crazy for us! (Today is opening day, so I am relishing my last few sips of coffee before the “storm” hits!!) I guess I’d like to learn to be better at meal and lesson planning (we homeschool) so that when our busy season comes around all our good habits don’t just go out the window. Thanks for the post today–good things to think about!

4. Jenny B says:

Inward focused for myself I’m looking forward to tearing up the back yard to get a big garden in there this summer. The kids will be happy about less to mow- we’ll see how excited they are about weeding. At least I know they’ll be thrilled about more fresh salsa and pesto and veggies. In an outward focus I’ve offered to start a cooking class at the Jr. High for 8 weeks (as a club, not during school) to get kids excited about food & cooking, and would like the focus to carry over to the environmental aspects of local foods, gardening and composting.

5. Marci says:

I would like to find more ways to use our farm in a ministry type way. I would also love to give some classes. I have people who ask me to give classes for different things I do, but I guess it kind of makes me nervous about doing it.

6. I’m learning to slow down, and really enjoy life. My goal is to be less rushed, do less, and enjoy the time I do have. My goal is to be grateful and focus on the blessings I have in my life, versus what I don’t.

7. Annie Carlson says:

Our goal for next year to is feed ourselves exclusively from our garden. We have been doing a vegetable CSA for 3 years now and it seems like we feel such an obligation to make sure our members are well-fed that we do it at the expense of our own family. We’ve decided to not do a CSA next year and make the garden simply for us. We will be expanding the meat parts of our farm to compensate for the loss in income and the gain of gardening just for fun and food!