Fall’s Leisure Part 2

It’s been another week of gorgeous weather. Thank you! The air. Fall air is so crisp, so refreshing, simply  divine. The days are warm but not too warm and the nights call for a fire, just to enough to warm an old leaky farmhouse. An early evening fire in our amazing wood burning stove, takes the chill off in the a.m. The amount of time for reflection is growing. I’m writing letters, returning phone calls, baking, reading books, and allowing creativity find me. I’ve been trying to capture some of the beauty Buxton bestows in fall. The trees are lurking with the threat of letting go of their leaves. I want them to remain. Hang out just a bit longer. Not ready to see all of them fall too soon. Walking through the fields to set up fences for the cows, crunching on the leaves as I go. I love that sound! Brings back childhood memories. Life in Ohio when we used to “rake” the leaves out of our yard after grade school, but not before jumping in them!  Now, I invite them to remain. Let them do their thing for the soil! Appreciate their contribution.

Lead Cow, Tonya

Fall's Promise

This week also brought our first frost. We’ve been waiting for the frost to annoint our parsnips, making them sweeter, tastier and ready for a hearty soup. Today we will carve out time to harvest them along with our winter carrots. Some of the other winter veggies will stay intact a bit longer.

Fall colors in backdrop!

The number of days following the cows for the hens is slowly beginning to end. We’ve noticed they are bit resistant to come out of the eggmobile lately. The frost isn’t their favorite kind of morning. They also started laying less eggs and some of them are molting. I look forward to cleaning the eggmobile next month once they are nested into the hoop house for winter.

"Hacken Field"

It feels so good to be working with Michael and the cows again. With interns this summer I resigned this position temporarily. I like walking the fields again, getting familiar with the landscape, and observing the heard. There is so much to learn by simply observing, taking notice. The animals are easy to be with as long as they are fulfilled. It’s such a good feeling to know we are part of providing them a decent, enriching life. I will milk these fall days for as long as possible while I slowly get my body, my mind, and our home ready for winter. I invite winter to take her time getting to Buxton. We’re not ready for her just yet.

About Grace

Grace and her husband Michael manage Buxton a Polyface satellite farm. Her first passion is to align with radiant health. She knows intimately that when you have your health you can do anything. Next, her passion for vibrant healthy food and beautiful landscapes along with her interest in permaculture influenced Grace's decision to align with the Polyface farming model. With 20 years of experience in the healing arts, she feels growing food and pasture raising animals is one of the greatest healers and a true source of personal empowerment. It's been said, "if you're not living on the edge your taking up too much space." Grace lives joyfully on the "leading edge" surrounded by the breathtaking beauty of the appalachian mountains where her and Michael steward 1000 acres with profound appreciation."
Grace, UntaggedPermalink

8 Responses to Fall’s Leisure Part 2

1. Sheri Salatin says:

Love your photos, Grace. Isn’t fall awesome?! 🙂

2. shar miller says:

I see that your bio states you are in the “healing arts”. What does that mean. I’ve recently been looking into ways to naturally care for our family. I believe God put a cure to everything out there….we just might have to work for it a little bit. 🙂

• Grace says:

Hi Shar. I’ve been interesting in the healing arts for about 20 years. Energy work, massage, breath, movement, and the powerful world of our emotions.This journey ultimately lead to eating wholesome foods. Homegrown food. After going through some personal challenges with my health I have learned the power of our emotions. I have been learning to recreate or tell a new story. The story of well being. These days I’m interested in reading a lot about the law of attraction and have come to understand the universe is a benevolent teacher. My focus is truly on joy. A joyous attitude can heal nearly anything. Be well!

3. Ellen Paulson says:

Beautiful description of your life on a fall day on the farm. Thank you for sharing!!

4. Shari Miller says:

Are there any books you could recommend on the healing arts. I am a Christian woman, so I’m always unsure of what is good info and what is not…Thank you 🙂

5. Grace Hernandez says:

Yes, Rachael Naomi Remen has a few good easy books, a great place to start. She’s an MD who works with all kinds of people with different issues. She tells wonderful stories too. Two of her books, MY GRANDFATHER”S BLESSINGS and KITCHEN TABLE WISDOM. I like these books because they are easy to read but make you think at the same time. She has a way of seeing things that really invokes compassion. I also think the book, THE ASTONISHING POWER OF EMOTIONS, is a great read.

6. gntmnzulh says:

Connect with buddies finally, enjoy yourself of their organization. This is the true-living, phase-by-phase complement which will bring you from the paralyzing desparation in winning your ex back or retaining them from leaving. One thing you don’t ever want to do in case you are around the getting finish will be to hound them with calls. You also may possibly have a preference for online video media structure.
    website here| In Half inchThe Magic Of making UpIn it’s easy to reap the benefits of many, many years of Inchescurrently spearate associationIn . specialized suggestions that has a gentleman that’s made it simpler for loads of adults to hook up just as before. You are going to moreover receive two benefit e books the clean up stone strategy guide which tells you what to do to get your girlfriend back whenever you had been the main one obtaining romance from the partnership. Set up your own personal land initially. There are many doubters on the market that phone the Age-tutorial -The Magic of Making Up- a scam.

Related Info