Yogurt, a Box Truck, and Cozy Fall Sweaters

Happy Thursday!

How’s your week been? Yesterday was a crazy-fun-busy day for me. I woke up, did chores, and helped get the processing shed ready for the days’ butchering: about 170 broilers and 100 turkeys. Eric, Polyface’s Senior Apprentice, and I also got an order ready for a restaurant chef that was coming by that morning.

During breakfast, I experimented with making a gallon of yogurt. Any yogurt extraordinaires out there? All I know to do (besides buying a “yogurt maker”) is to heat 1 quart of milk between 100 F – 110 F, stir in 3-4 tablespoons cultured yogurt, pour into glass canning jars, and leave in a tight cooler for 5-7 hours. I’ve tried flavoring yogurt with honey, maple syrup, or vanilla. I’m in the early stages of learning, but I’m sure success is out there somewhere. :)

I then jumped in to help finish butchering the birds, grabbed some lunch, and headed out the door to make the weekly run to the local abattoir. I drive our box truck every week to pick up fresh meat orders for restaurants and retail, and also inventory for our sales building and buying clubs. (I  really like the box truck because it has AC, radio, and cute elephants on the side.)

When I got back, the team of apprentices and interns took care of putting the meat away in fridges and freezers. I had some baking that needed to get completed, so I started that, helped some customers in the sales building, and then came up to take care of inventory for buying clubs (and write this blog post! :)

Brie and Dan made an amazing meal for all of us: yummy dinner-for-breakfast, including buttery-flaky biscuits, sausage gravy, stewed apples, greens, roasted zucchini, and delicious scrambled eggs. Yummy!

In the evening, some of us went out on the town to the thrift store. I came back with a cute little sweater in a red wine/sorta plum color. :) Lovely!

Happy September everyone!

About Kristen Long

Kristen Long came to Polyface as an intern in the summer of 2010. She enjoyed the lifestyle and work here and is now freezer organizer and inventory manager. Kristen was born and raised in Virginia and was homeschooled most of her school years. As a teen, she began raising dairy calves and milking cows before coming to Polyface. Kristen is blessed to be engaged to her best friend, Ben Beichler. They will be married in 2012 and manage DoubleB Acres, LLC.
Kristen, UntaggedPermalink

12 Responses to Yogurt, a Box Truck, and Cozy Fall Sweaters

1. I make yogurt in a crock pot. I use two liters (I think about half a gallon?) on high heat for two hours, turn it off and let it sit for two hours, stir in a yogurt and cover (I use my toddler’s winter coat) for five to six hours (or overnight). Here’s the website: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/you-can-make-yogurt-in-your-crockpot.html
    It is truly delicious, and I’ve gotten a bit addicted to the freshness. My favorite snack is yogurt with chopped fruit and pumpkin seeds. When my friends found out how it’s made, they were a bit grossed out (“You let this sit out all night?”), but I ask, What do you think Avraham Avinu (Hebrew for the Biblical Abraham) had for breakfast?
    I’m mentally preparing to go to my first chicken slaughter. Have to get ready for it inside my head. Grew up really pretty classically suburban.
    Kirsten, can we see a pic of that cute sweater?
    Rachel
    Beit Shemesh

2. Question for the Polyface crew – I would like to listen to Joel Salatin’s lecture on getting kids to enjoy work. If I have Amazon ship it to Israel, it’s sort of ridiculously expensive. Is there a way to download it? Thanks for your help!
    Rachel

• Sheri Salatin says:

Hi Rachel, We don’t have any of Joel’s lectures available for download at this time. It’s a great idea though! :) Thank you for asking.

• Karen Bedward says:

Actually there is a way to down load the lecture on getting your kids to enjoy work from Joel Salatin the down load is avaiable through vision forum ministries, it is excellent!

3. Marcie McBee says:

We make yogurt with raw milk. You heat a half a gallon to 185 then cool it to 115(I cool in a sink of cold water). Add 1/2 cup of starter (yogurt from another batch), add vanilla. Then put it in jars and if you have a stove with a light you can set it in the oven and turn the light on. I leave mine for 12 to 24 hours. We add honey, syrup or sugar when we go to eat it. You can also take fresh or frozen fruit cook it on the stove with a little sweetener and add it to the jars when it is cooled (it does not take much). My favorite is to cut up a cup or so of fresh strawberries and put them in a jar of yogurt (after it has cooled), set it in the fridge, the juice soaks into the yogurt.

• Marci says:

If you heat the milk to 185, then it is pasteurized. You can pasteurize a small mother culture to keep going. To keep the yogurt raw heat the milk only to 115┬░ and then add the mother culture. Not trying to be a know it all, but after tweaking my yogurt making for years, I finally have found this works. I do heat about 2 cups of milk up until it foams all up and then let it cool to 115┬░. That is my mother culture. I always make my next mother culture with the previous one. I make raw milk yogurt 1/2 gallon at a time. I feed it to our dogs as well. :)

4. Henry says:

Kristen, my wife and I enjoyed reading your blog today. You mentioned Eric – please, tell him the Burggrafs in TN said “hello.” Our son is processing 200 chickens next week and tell Eric he is welcome to come help. : ) Have a blessed day!

5. Rooker says:

I have a recipe issue as well. The guys at T&E encouraged us to take pets of the cow we were not particularly used to (she we had a half ordered). Now I have more beef liver than I know what to do with. Any tasty, kid friendly suggestions?

6. Rooker says:

Sorry about the previous auto spells- it should be PARTS of the cow, and SINCE we had ordered a half.

7. Kristen Long says:

Thank you everyone for the yogurt wisdom!

Rachel, thank you for commenting on the blog! Yes, I hope to post a picture soon. I don’t have a camera, but it’s on the future “wish list”… :)

Mr. Henry, thank you for posting! I will be sure to tell Eric that you all say hello.

Have a blessed Thursday!

8. Wes says:

Hello. Do you think you could settle an argument for me? I was going to send this thank you note with a question to Joel, but then I read that you/Kristen is the one taking care of the Salatin’s meat birds now? So maybe you’re the one to ask, or forward this. Thanks.
    I just got through reading Family Friendly Farming. What a great book! A grand slam. No shortage of profound insights on so many crucial topics pertaining to those of us that’d rather have more humans living and working healthy together on the land, than fewer chemical model farmers on all of it. Joel, you really tell it like it is, to a lot of the old guard that’s tying up prime farm ground in order to monopolize on that conventional rent as a “defensive posture”, and some of them keep their own offspring out of the farming picture completely because of it. A real breath of fresh air to finally read someone else’s opinion that verbalizes my own thoughts and feelings on the issue of inheritance. I was never quite able to formulate my frustration and anger into a proper descriptive sentence. Great job!

Some friends of ours don’t think Grower (20%) and Finisher (17%, 16%) feed is necessary for broilers. They insist that YOU only feed your broilers Starter feed (22%) all the way through until butcher. I told them there was a savings in reducing protein ratios down to Grower after two weeks of starter, and then to Finisher a week or two before maturation, and I told them I doubted you’d sneeze at that financial savings. So who’s right?

Also I would like to know if there’s an advantage to buying organic feed, or feed “grown organically” as opposed to conventionally grown pre packaged big box, or feed store feed, which likely has round-up, atrazine, weed killers in and on the grains, as well as gmo ingredients. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for the great book. I look forward to reading your others.

– Wes

9. My favorite way to flavor homemade yogurt– simmer fresh or frozen blueberries and some real maple syrup on the stove until the berries begin to break down, and then chill in the fridge. This makes a beautiful syrupy sweetener for yogurt. I tried it with strawberries too, but something about the flavor of blueberries and maple… yum! Hard to beat!