Holy Cows & Hog Heaven by Joel Salatin

Today officially starts the reading and discussion of Holy Cows & Hog Heaven by Joel Salatin. This book is the food buyer’s guide to farm friendly food.

If you are just joining us, you can read more about this book here.

Are you joining us?

Also, please chime in here on this post with any of your group questions that would like us to post!

Let’s chat!

Polyface Farm Chick Book Club

Farm Chick Book Club, Holy Cows & Hog HeavenPermalink

11 Responses to Holy Cows & Hog Heaven by Joel Salatin

1. Annie Carlson says:

Yippee!! Now I can read it yet again. Can’t wait for the discussion…

2. Jen Perdew says:

This is one of Joel’s books that I haven’t read yet, so I’m excited to jump in, read the book and join the discussion!

3. Shrader says:

Do y’all allow roosters in this hen house book club?

4. Shrader says:

Excellent! This is the last of Joel’s books that I haven’t read. Looking forward to it.

5. Pam says:

Will you be covering the VICFA Alert re: 2VAC5-114, Health Requirements Governing the Admission of Agricultural
    Animals, Companion Animals, and Other Animals of Birds into Virginia? I noticed the VICFA Alert this morning that shows there will be a meeting and vote on the proposed requirement on 9 August.

The reason I ask is that won’t this increase the cost and availability of local farm friendly food in Virginia? I know that it isn’t directly covered in the book but I believe it is a real time issue here in Virginia that affects Polyface and other farms in the area. I look forward to your thoughts and suggestions on how each of us can work to support Polyface and other local farms in this issue.

• Sheri Salatin says:

We can if you want to bring it up during the discussions. 🙂 We strongly recommend that everyone join the Farm to Consumer Legal Defense Fund. We back them 100%.

6. Shrader says:

I’ve only just started reading, but, as usual, Joel grabs you right from jump. His energy and his passion leap right off the page. I love his concise, bullet-point description of the common threads that unite like-minded farmers.
    But what I really love is his bold proclamation of who he is. I struggle with my own self-identification, politically and otherwise — sometimes I lean left, sometimes right, etc. When Joel said, “I am a fulltime Christian libertarian capitalist environmentalist farmer…” I cheered! Yes. So beautifully put. And he makes no apology or excuses, he says “every political persuasion will find things to love and things to hate about this book, it’s just where I am.” I love it. No political correctness here. I look forward to being challenged, entertained and educated.
    I’d also be curious how other people identify themselves.

• Sheri Salatin says:

This is a great question, Shrader. I’ll have to post this one for the group. 🙂

7. Brenda says:

I have this book, so I’ll read and join in! Yay! 🙂

8. Heather M. says:

I’m in! I just got my book and am getting caught up. Love it so far!