I posted this about 4 years ago, but thought that I would share it again.
A list of common to little known farm animal facts:
- Cows are herbivores
- Cows and bulls can have horns
- Cows have 4 stomachs
- A heifer is a cow who has not had a calf yet, once she gives birth she becomes a cow
- Cows have no top teeth, only bottom teeth
- When a rabbit gives birth, it is called kindling
- Rabbits are herbivores
- Rabbits chew their cud, similar to cows
- A rooster is not needed for hens to lay eggs
- A young laying hen, before she is old enough to lay eggs, is called a pullet
- Chickens are omnivores
- Chickens (and all poultry) don’t have a stomach, instead they have a crop located in their neck.
- A baby turkey is called a poult
- Turkeys are omnivores
- Pigs are omnivores
Which one did you find the most surprising? Do you have one to add?
Coming up next week – I’ll start the book discussion on Marketing Grassfed Products Profitably. Click here to see my previous post about this.