You Know You’re A Farm Girl If…

If you are a woman and a farmer, you’ve probably experienced the crossroads where lovely femininity intersects with rugged farm life. It is a beautiful but complicated line that we walk each day as farm girls, balancing who we are and the work that we do.

Being a farm girl is a good, challenging, and fulfilling lifestyle, and there are some things in life that can be experienced no other way than farming. The Polyface Farm chicks and I had fun thinking of what makes us farm girls. What makes you a farm girl?

You Know You’re A Farm Girl If…

you feel lost without your leatherman multi-tool cows make you happy – you find yourself doing spontaneous animal impersonations – dirt is your daily make-upyou have singed your hair on a brooder hover – you wear muck boots into town – you sing while gathering eggsyou don’t want to eat anything you haven’t grown – you find hay down your shirt at the end of the day – your idea of a late night is 9:30 p.m. – your high heels give away your rural roots as you plod down the streetyou love farm boysyour arms and legs are different shades in the summertime – you have dirt under your fingernails & your idea of a manicure is to cut them shorter – you find bobby pins, lip balm, drill bits, water nipples, and nails in your pockets – you get excited when you find a really cute flannel shirt – your hands are cut-up and callousedyou refer to farm animals with terms of endearment, such as “honey,” “babe,” and “darlin’.” – you daydream about being Laura Ingalls Wilder – you are thrilled with work gloves that fit your hands!– you wear your pajamas under your overalls – you change clothes in a hoophouse after getting soaked fixing a pig waterer – you talk to tractors – after re-doing your hair for the third time that morning, you give up on appearances and tell yourself you’re just a farm girl

About Kristen Long

Kristen Long came to Polyface as an intern in the summer of 2010. She enjoyed the lifestyle and work here and is now freezer organizer and inventory manager. Kristen was born and raised in Virginia and was homeschooled most of her school years. As a teen, she began raising dairy calves and milking cows before coming to Polyface. Kristen is blessed to be engaged to her best friend, Ben Beichler. They will be married in 2012 and manage DoubleB Acres, LLC.
KristenPermalink

27 Responses to You Know You’re A Farm Girl If…

1. Jessy McShane says:

LOVE THIS! There ARE women like me out there… somewhere! Howdy from Crow Wing County in MN!

2. The Farmer's Wife Pasture-raised Poultry says:

if manure is your daily perfume…

3. MJ Fowler says:

Haha, Love this!! I am a rancher and ranch wife. I love to find gloves that fit my small hands and am always wearing my PJ's under my overalls while night calving! Great blog ladies!

4. Cathy says:

I'm still waiting for the day we buy our farm. Even so, more than half this list is true of me! I am so looking forward to getting my cows. I've got names for them already. 🙂

5. Shady Grove Farm says:

Absolutely love it, especially the PJ's under the overalls. So, so true. I don't think boys do that. My husband keeps telling me that I'm going to ruin all my "sleeping pants"… but everyone needs me out there the MINUTE I wake up… so… what's a kid to do??

6. Rosi Lovell says:

if you have orange string in your pockets at the end of day…or a tangled mess of it in your wash

7. Heather says:

You sure hit the nail on the head…I can relate to everyone of those. I like to laugh at myself a bit when I get to put my work pants on over my unionsuit…

8. h says:

I love the Orange string comment by Heather!
    I have a hard time trying to feel feminine,sexy or even comfortable in dress 'Dress Clothes' anymore. Thanks for posting; sometimes I feel like I am the only female rancher out there

9. Jessy McShane says:

Should add.. If you happen to go to town and try to clean up a bit.. It never fails to run your fingers through your hair, and find bits of twigs,grass or the dreaded questionable!

10. Vicki says:

awwww…I LOVE THIS!! it is sooo me 🙂

11. Twwly says:

Hooray! I relate to all of these too. Wonderful post.

12. Deanna says:

I'm just a suburban (mostly patio) gardener, but I wear my Mucks shopping, have dirt under my fingernails, get too excited when I find work gloves that fit (in colors!), only want to eat what I grow, and in the summer often find bits of wire or twine in my pockets. Glad to know you girls are out there!

Thanks for this!

13. Willows Edge Farm says:

You hit the nail on the head. I just giggled and nodded in agreement! love it!!

14. Rosi Lovell says:

…if you have flames shoot up your skirt while trying to scald a hog!

This really happened…my husband reminded me of this as he was reading through the blog!

15. mzkynd says:

snorted my way thru this one, too funny and true 🙂

16. Lorie says:

Love this! My favorite is coming home from my office job, looking in the mirror and realizing I spent the whole day with hay in my hair!

17. Amy Weinfurtner says:

if you've ever stalked an escaped hog through the woods with your baby in a backpack. .

18. BethW says:

Hilarious!
    Here are a few of my own:
    1. You can drive the farm truck in high heels.
    2. Your favorite hen pecked and ate one of your favorite earrings out of your ear. Most expensive grit ever.
    3. Your coworkers at work call you the "goat girl."
    4. You've ever had to turn your bra inside out to find that minuscule bit of hay scratching your skin.
    5. You find hay in your purse.
    6. You leave your boss' office to find you've left behind a dried clod of duck poop that was stuck on your dress shoe.
    7. Goat kisses are the best.
    7. Eating spring peas while standing in the garden is better than candy.

🙂

19. Catherine says:

Love this Kristen! How about when you sing old-time hymns to the cows during the milking…when you start sounding like chickens when you call to them..

love you!!

20. Anna Burns says:

Haha!!!! This is so funny and sooo true! How about these: your feet are tanned and semi-permanently stained from going barefoot all summer, you can't seem to find any clean shoes to wear to town, you wear bits of blood, chicken guts, etc. in your hair, you get all excited when you find a straw hat that will fit over a bun, you think pigs are awfully cute, and you can gut a chicken with your eyes closed!
    Thanks for this post! Love it!!!

21. Anna Burns says:

or how about this one: you can't figure out how to use a can-opener because you've never bought a can of food from the store in your life! 🙂

22. Sheri says:

Anna!! Hi! :o) It's great to see you sort of on here. How are you? Tell your family hi for me. :o)

23. Anna Burns says:

Hi Sheri! I'm doing great, except for a case of cabin fever! How are you doing? Looking forward to spring?

24. Carie Starr says:

This is so me! The last "girlie" party I went to was a jewelry party so here's my contribution:

When you can't find a single thing at the jewelry party to match your overalls and muck boots!

I wouldn't have it any other way! Love my life as a farm girl!

25. Audrene Burns says:

I was not feeling so "lady-like" today, or any other day of my farmlife, so this was a perfect fit! Thanks to Anna's blog, I was directed here also. Last week I loaded one stray egg into my coat pocket…saw a favorite old hen…scooped her up real quick…heard a pop and squash in my jacket. Threw out a handful and mucked the pocket a little, I'll wash it for real (maybe on a Sunday )shhhh – it's the only day I'm not in it. That's the day I clean up and try to walk in heals! Thanks again!

26. Pingback: The End of Summer…and New Beginnings « Polyface Hen House